What are the side effects of long term exposure to mold?
Mold is a serious health hazard
Mold is very dangerous, even though you may not believe that. ‘What a little fungus can do’ – you probably say. Well, it can cause a lot of harm to your health, especially during long term exposure to the mildew. Exposure to mold growing indoors is most often assciated with typical allergy symptoms. These include: breathing difficulties, asthma, headaches,chest tightness, nasal congestion, skin and eye irritation. If these problems don’t stop occuring, you may have a mold growing somewhere in your home or workspace.
These symptoms are just the beggining. Some indoor molds are capable of producing extremely dangerous toxins (which are called mycotoxins), that are easily absorbed by our bodies through airways and skin. This substances, usually contained in fungal spores, have toxic effects on human bodies. They range from short-term irritation, to even cancer and immunosuppression.
Various diseases caused by mold toxins
Keep in mind, that long-term exposure to mold and mycotoxins is not good for anyone, but there are some people that are at higher risk that others. It is because they are more sensitve to some substances. I’m talking about little children, elderly people and people with respiratory conditions, allergies and asthma. It’s more common for these people to have more severe symptopms cause by exposure to mycotoxins.
For example, they are at higher risk of cancer and immunlogic disorders. Mold can also cause hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which is a chronic inflammation of the lungs. It can also cause pulmonary injury, which may result in bleeding. It is not the end of the list! Breathing in substances emitted by mold, can also cause neurotoxicity, which leads to damage in nervous tissue (which leads to further complications). Long exposure to mildew can also result in a variety of hematologic and immunologic disorders, along with cardiac condtions. Be aware of the risks and save your family from toxic mold!